for NYS Farmers Markets
SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps, is an important program connecting low income consumers to healthy food. Reaching healthy food is easy when SNAP beneficiaries have access to farmers markets. To accomplish this a farmers market manager or farmer must have wireless equipment to accept the electronic benefits.
Since 2002, New York State has contracted with the Farmers Market Federation of NY to assist farmers markets and direct marketing farmers to participate in the SNAP program. The Federation provides the following assistance:
- Assistance through the application process, including the SNAP retailer application
- Provide the card reader and printer to all farmers markets and direct marketing farmers who provide a compatible smartphone or iPad, along with a data plan
- Training on participating in the SNAP program
- Annual fee reimbursements for SNAP transactions and processing
- Media kit to help promote SNAP at your market and/or farm
- For central terminal markets, signage for the market and all participating farmers, tokens for SNAP transactions
- Annual promotional campaign to build awareness of SNAP at farmers markets
- Troubleshooting with USDA, Novo Dia Group and Worldpay
- Consultation on building a SNAP program for your market
To get started, contact the Farmers Market Federation office at [email protected] or 315-400-1447.
- Is SNAP Right for my market?
- SNAP Proven Strategies
- Accepting SNAP at your market
- Operating SNAP at a NY Farmers Market
- Farmers Market Wireless EBT Program Participation Agreement
- Farmers and Vendors EBT Program Participation Agreement
- Farm Stand/NYC Green Cart Participation Agreement
- EBT logs
- Media Kit